Fibromyalgia pain relief medication
Lyrica (pregabalin) is an FDA-approved medication for fibromyalgia pain relief. Fibromyalgia is a chronic disorder that causes pain and long-term muscle sensitivity worldwide, difficulty sleeping and overwhelming fatigue. This medicine is not an antidepressant. The drug has been used for a long time to reduce nerve pain in patients with shingles and diabetic neuropathy. It is also used to treat partial seizures.
How does Lyrica work for fibromyalgia pain relief? Fibromyalgia pain is considered to be caused by nerve-related changes that cause nerve cells to activate too many signals. This makes a person too sensitive to stimuli that are not usually painful. Scientists are not quite sure how Lyrica improves symptoms and for pain relief for fibromyalgia. But laboratory research suggests that Lyrica helps decrease the number of nerve signals and, as a result, calms too sensitive nerve cells. This seems to relieve pain in patients with fibromyalgia.
How is Lyrica taken for fibromyalgia pain relief? When used for fibromyalgia, Lyrica is a capsule that is usually taken in divided doses twice daily. Doses range from 150 milligrams to 450 milligrams per day. Your doctor will determine the best dose for you. If you forget to take a capsule, you should take it as soon as possible, unless you are close to the moment when you are supposed to take the next one. Never take two or more at the same time. You should not suddenly stop taking this medicine. Doing so can cause headache, upset stomach, diarrhea and trouble sleeping. If you want or need to stop taking the medication, your doctor will tell you how to slowly reduce your dose over time.
The benefits of Lyrica: Lyrica can quickly reduce pain and for the relief of fibromyalgia pain, improve sleep and help some people with fibromyalgia to function better and return to their daily routines. In the studies, some patients reported significantly less pain after taking Lyrica for only one week. Lyrica, however, may not help all people with fibromyalgia.
Before taking Lyrica for fibromyalgia pain relief: always make sure your doctor knows all the other medications you are taking. This includes over-the-counter medications, herbs and supplements. Some prescription medications can interact with Lyrica and cause dangerous side effects. Such drugs include:
1. Blood pressure medications called ACE inhibitors; Taking Lyrica with these medications increases the chance of swelling and hives.
2. Medications for diabetes Avandia (rosiglitazone) or Actos (pioglitazone); If you take these medications with this medication, you may have an increased risk of swelling or weight gain.
3. Narcotic pain medications (such as oxycodone), anxiety medications (such as lorazepam) and tranquilizers; The combination of these medications with this medication increases the chances of dizziness and drowsiness.
4. Sleep medications make you sleep, and Lyrica can cause drowsiness. Combining the two can be dangerous.
Do not drink alcohol when you are in Lyrica. Doing so may increase Lyrica’s side effects and become dangerously sleepy.
Also tell your doctor if you have any other medical conditions, including:
1. Hemorrhagic disorders or low platelet count.
2. heart problems
3. Kidney problems or if you receive renal dialysis (a lower dose of Lyrica is needed if you have kidney problems)